COVID-19 threatens to destabilize rural India for years to come.
To prevent the potentially devastating effects of a third wave, we are enthusiastically promoting vaccination, providing much-needed health services, and combating misinformation.
Ekal's COVID care services have reached a total of 5 million people in 5,000 rural villages.
COVID Care Centers
(Ekal Seva Kendras)
Diagnostic tools distributed
Data as of January 2021
Ekal's COVID-19 Relief Efforts
Vaccines have the power to prevent the devastating effects of a third wave.
However, vaccine hesitancy is high amongst the rural population, and the availability of vaccines is limited.
At Ekal, we're working to counter misinformation on vaccine safety and collaborate with the government to vaccinate as many people as possible.
Available in 100,000 villages, our telehealth helpline connects people with COVID to triage and medical care.
Doctors are available for remote consultations, and people with severe cases are brought to Ekal's COVID isolation centers. There, they are looked after and brought to hospitals if necessary.
As part of our helpline, Ekal's community health workers also distribute diagnostic equipment like oximeters and digital thermometers., as well as PPE.
Building Healthcare Capacity
Beyond COVID, deploying telemedicine throughout rural India will have long-lasting benefits.
We are building the foundation for a robust health system in rural areas that have never before had viable access to healthcare.
COVID has accelerated the development and implementation of revolutionary approaches that are democratizing healthcare for all.
Ekal's COVID Relief Efforts: Wave 1
During the first wave of COVID-19 in India, we worked tirelessly to protect rural villages by:
- providing information on social distancing, masks, and quarantine
- creating village quarantine centers where migrant laborers could quarantine before re-entering the village
- manufacturing and distributing three million masks to frontline workers and villagers
100,000 villages protected
During the first wave, there was not a single COVID death in any Ekal villages.
Ekal's COVID Relief Efforts: Wave 2
When the second wave hit, Ekal immediately launched into action. Today, we continue to:
- extend telemedicine lifelines to 100,000 villages
- share information and counter misinformation through pamphlets, posters, and wall writing
- manufacture and distribute masks
- maintain COVID isolation centers with oxygen concentrators, paramedics, and telemedicine
- coordinate with the government to vaccinate people in villages