What do children do upon completion of the three year Ekal Vidyalaya curriculum?
Graduates from the EV program often chose one of three options:
- Formal government schooling
- Continue private primary schooling
- An Ekal Vidyalaya weekly refresher class
The government boasts extensive and functional schools. What is the need for an Ekal Vidyalaya?
- Government teachers face cultural, work schedule, and linguistic barriers.
- Students cannot / do not attend primary education centers.
- Ekal Vidyalaya supplements formal education at such locations
- Ekal Vidyalaya imparts moral values
How is Ekal Vidyalaya different from other development organizations?
- Comprehensive village development approach
- Local empowerment
- Emphasis on self sufficiency
- A true movement with a goal of 100,000 schools
- Nation-wide network
- Concept is based on mass voluntarism
- Youth and female involvement
- Complete transparency and accountability
- Maximum donation reaches the grassroots level
How does the imparted education help to develop a people and a community?
- Promotes further education
- Builds children's and villagers' self-confidence
- Boosts self-respect
- Creates an impulse to further develop community
- Prevents exploitation
How does Ekal Vidyalaya manage to run on such a minimal budget? How is my donation used to run an Ekal Vidyalaya?
- Low administrational overhead
- Few capital costs
- Minimal teacher's honorarium
- Minimal worker's honorarium
- Teaching aids
- Support of the villagers and surrounding area
Donation Package - US $365 (INR 22,000) per School per Annum
|a. School Working
||1. Honorarium & Training of Teachers
||2. Teaching Material
||3. Training of Master Trainers
||4. R&D and Contingency
||1. Project level area
||2. State level
||3. National level
As workers and committees are not financially motivated, what drives them to persist?
- Working for their OWN community.
- Educating THEIR people
- Preventing exploitation
- A voluntary attitude
- Service of one's country
As the average teacher could be even below a tenth-grade, high school graduate, how is he or she qualified to teach an Ekal Vidyalaya?
Upon finding a capable, potential teacher, a series of training sessions assure that the teacher is thoroughly qualified.
- 5-Days Preliminary 'Prathamik Varg'
- Timing - Before school is started
- Activities - Prepare an initial lesson plan
- Goals - Understand responsibilities and potential
- Basic direction
- Impart a basic understanding of the EV concept
- 10 Days (2* 5 days) Practical 'Abhyas Varg'
- Timing - Three months after school starts and every 6 months thereafter.
- Activities - Study the Multi-grade concept
- Language and mathematic basics
- Games, stories, and other non-formal methods
- Goals -
- Advanced training
- Recharges the teachers' energy
- 2 Days Monthly Practical 'Masik Abhyas Varg'
- Timing - Monthly meeting
- Activities -
- Share experiences
- Discuss problems, hurdles, and successes
- Update monthly lesson plan
- Goals - Refresh what was learned at the 10 Day Practical 'Abhyas Varg.'
How can one teacher handle three different class and grade levels?
- Multi-grade teaching
- A heavily researched and studied education technique
- Used by dozens of developing countries
- Students are grouped by ability and grade level
- Three such groups constitute an Ekal Vidyalaya
- Such small groups are conducive to learning
- Requires a qualified teacher, motivated students, and a supportive parental and community backbone
- Support from the community
- Parental support
- Through children attendance
- Constant enquiring
- Assistant teacher support
- A supporting youth will help manage the classes
- Village committee support
How can a teacher contribute to village development?
- Ekal Vidyalaya looks to develop a village through:
- Primary education
- Health Education
- Village Development
- People Empowerment
- In the health education concept, we aim to impart:
- Health education
- Preventive measures
- Mother-child care
- Curative treatment of general diseases
- A referral service for serious cases